The heavy weights are finally here. The next phase to your periodization is max strength. Nothing fancy here, you are just hauling major weight. It's best to focus on the core lifts, while keeping your assistance (single-joint exercises) to the hypertrophy scheme. Below are the guidelines:
- HAVE A SPOTTER! You are lifting nearly you're 1-RM so make sure you have someone spotting you
- 5-8 sets of singles, doubles, or triples. Personally, I like to go with 5 sets of 2 reps, but see how you like whatever scheme
- Do above rep scheme for core lifts (multi-joint exercises: bench press, squat, deadlift, etc.)
- Rest between 4-5 minutes. You may not be breathing hard, but your muscles need to rest.
- should be 85-95% of your 1-RM; use the ExRx calculator to find your RM's
- 3 - 4 sets of 10-12 reps for accessory lifts
- Do for 1-2 weeks
- Move up by only 5-10% of weight per week to be safe
As mentioned last time, each repetition will take longer due to the increased weight. Be confident and continue to push through. When stressed, people forget to breath so make sure you breathe during each set.
Baechle, T. R. & Earle, R.W. (2008). Essentials of strength training and conditioning 3rd Edition. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
About the Blog
Learn all things exercise and fitness with Vien Vu. Learn How Fit Works!
Top Rank Health, LLC Copyright. All rights reserved. You may not take any images, video, or any other content from this site without written permission.